Marten Horák | Facebook
Marten Horák | Facebook
Check out Real Life Adventures on GoComics!
We all know how Mom & Dad Saved The World in “The Good War.”
Or do we?
This here is The Rest Of The Story.
* How the companies that beefed up to support US troops in World War I were vilified, disgraced, shackled, punished, and nearly driven to extinction as evil “war profiteers” by the start of World War II.
* How the “dollar-a-year-men” gave up lucrative salaries and volunteered to rearm America with no compensation and under continual, heavy domestic fire.
* How the major labor unions competed with each other for organizing power by driving scores of large and long work stoppages right up through when the war-fighting began.
* Of the ceaseless criticism from liberals and socialists within and without the Roosevelt Administration who plotted to take over the nation’s economy and run it all from Washington.
* And over and over again: The mind-boggling project planning and project management sketched out on a few pieces of paper in a few hours or days that built the factories, then doubled production line output—and then doubled it again, often quadrupling it, to take a “Liberty Ship,” for example, from over 200 man-hours to produce down to, eventually, as little as a new ship sliding down the ways every four hours.
It’s all straight out of Ayn Rand except that these men put our country above principle. God bless them.
P.S., All these actors also bequeathed us the Military-Industrial Complex. But that’s a story for another time.
Amazon.com: Freedom’s Forge: How American Business Built the Arsenal of Democracy That Won World War II (Audible Audio Edition): Arthur Herman, John McDonough: Books
== PT, iPaddict
As I have grown older:
I’ve learned that pleasing everyone is impossible,
but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Condoms don’t guarantee safe sex anymore…
A friend of mine was wearing one
when he was shot by the woman’s husband.
I think it is just terrible and disgusting
how everyone has treated Lance Armstrong,
especially after what he achieved,
winning 7 Tour de France races, whilst on drugs.
When I was on drugs, I couldn’t even find my bike.
A guy broke into my apartment last week.
He didn’t take my TV, just the remote.
Now he drives by and changes the channels.
Just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to, doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.
Ralph and Edna were both patients in a mental hospital. One day while they were walking past the hospital swimming pool, Ralph suddenly jumped into the deep end.
He sank to the bottom of the pool and stayed there. Edna promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled him out. When the Head Nurse Director became aware of Edna’s heroic act she immediately ordered her to be discharged from the hospital, as she now considered her to be mentally stable.
When she went to tell Edna the news she said, ‘Edna, I have good news and bad news. The good news is you’re being discharged, since you were able to rationally respond to a crisis by jumping in and saving the life of the person you love… I have concluded that your act displays sound mindedness. The bad news is, Ralph hung himself in the bathroom with his bathrobe belt right after you saved him. I am so sorry, but he’s dead.’
Edna replied, ‘He didn’t hang himself, I put him there to dry. How soon can I go home?’